Thursday, April 8, 2010

Good Friday - National Folk Festival

My main reason for being in Canberra was to attend the National Folk Festival.  I camped, and despite heavy dew
the day was beautiful
If you couldn't take your tent you could stay in tent city
The site has a bright, carnival atmosphere (this is very early - it gets much busier!)
The opening concert was on Thursday night and the acts were The Craggs from Tasmania, James Keelaghan from Canada, Mal Webb, Patty Larkin, Taikoz and Kavisha Mazella.  Peter Garrett was there to make an award and I was very impressed with how he spoke.

On Friday I spent some time at the Poet's Breakfast and then saw Vin Garbutt, Bob Malone and Keith Potger in concert.  I had lunch in the Piazza watching classical Indian dance, belly dancing by Isistars and dancing by the Sydney Irish Dance Ensemble.  Here are a few of them doing a dance with hurling sticks
Hurling has been described as field hockey in the air or brutal field hockey.  You can see a video about it here.

Other acts I heard were The Bluegrass Souls; Bohemian Nights, Emily Smith & Jamie McClennan, Genticorum and Taikoz