Friday, October 15, 2010

Postcrossing

A friend sent me a link to http://www.postcrossing.com/.  The idea is to send postcards to people around the world, and you get them sent to you!  I joined that day and sent my first postcard the very next day!!
The process is free, except for the cost of the postcard and postage.  You can send up to 5 cards initially, and once they are registered as received you can send more.  For each one you send you get one sent to you.
My first one went to a delightful lady named Mary in California.  She wrote a lot about herself in her profile and so I felt I wanted to send a letter along with the postcard.
It felt strange writing the old fashioned way, but I think it's nice to receive handwritten letters.
I have boxes of postcards from years ago when I used to actively collect them - all sorted by country and some by theme (art and food!).  Now I'll have more to add - plus it's nice to be a kind of ambassador for your country/city!!