Thursday, May 7, 2009

9 Patch Swap - Part Two

Cutting
Last night I cut my first set of 2 1/2" squares. Of course, I should have cut strips - oh well, next time.
(oops - different fabric from the ones previewed in Part One!)

Sewing

What better machine to use for this project than that beautiful baby - my Singer 221 Featherweight.
It has its own cute little accessory box.
First, I had a play with the thread tension (I haven't used the machine in a while). Then, I had to make sure I was sewing a true 1/4" seam.

Here's a great tip to test the size of your seams - cut 3 strips of fabric 1 1/2" X 2 1/2". Sew 2 strips together along the 2 1/2" edge. Then place the third strip along the top - it should match perfectly. It took some trial and error but I finally got the seam guide in exactly the right place!