Thursday, September 1, 2011

DVDs August

I found this brand new DVD at a local op shop - $4 for the entire first and second season.  The show originally aired in the 80s, and I think it's been in re-runs since.  Balky (on the right) is newly arrived to the US from Mypos, a little island of indeterminate cultural connection.  He tracks down Larry, a distant cousin, and moves in.  It's gently humorous and good fun.

I saw this first series on Foxtel a few years ago (2008 I think) and it didn't pall on re-viewing.  You will NOT believe the state of some of the houses that the owners are trying to sell (and, not surprisingly, are unable to sell).  And you won't believe the mental state of some of the owners - they are blind to the glaringly obvious.   Straight talking  Andrew, the presenter, tells it like it is, whether they like it or not.  After putting up some of their own money, and allowing a designer and a landscaper in, the owners find that - voila - the house is much more marketable...

 
I'm glad I didn't buy this -the ads made it look a lot better than it was.  I guess I was expecting more of a cooking show, whereas this was more about the preparation and journey of some of the participants in a major pastry competition in France.  I didn't really connect with the people, although I did get that it's a big deal to be able to wear the tricoleur collar...