Monday, November 30, 2009

Mullum Music Festival '09 - Part 2 - Friday Night

As I knew none of the artists, I made the decision to just pick the ones the sounded the best from the program and stick with them for the length of the show - no running backwards and forwards trying to fit lots of sessions in. This turned out to be a great decision. I got to hear a wider repertoire than I would have by making a judgement on just one or two songs.

First up was Susanna Carmen - someone who wears her heart and everything else on her sleeve. Confessional and honest, her music is inspired by folk and appalachian music. Then came Ange Takats. The most beautiful voice with echoes of Joan Baez - funny and sad and wistful lyrics. She is based on the Sunshine Coast and you can preview some of her music here. Last for the night was Mr Sister. I was blown away by this duo's musicality. Mel is a singer/songwriter and arranger and she played both classical cello and the "praying mantis" which is the electric cello. Steve is a percussionist, pianist and producer. Their sound melded beautifully.

The only two good shots I got were of Ange
and Mel from Mr Sister.