Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Katie Noonan and Karin Schaupp

On Saturday night I was at the Powerhouse to hear Katie Noonan and Karin Schaupp sing and play songs from the British Isles.  I was so looking forward to the show, as the program started with Purcell and Dowland - wonderful music traditionally song to the lute.  Well, Karin (on guitar) was good, but I just did not warm to Katie's interpretation.  The music moved in time through to the more modern, including music from Peter Gabriel.  While there was a level of emotion shown by Katie, all the songs seemed to get the same treatment.

A nice surprise was the Loretto Guitar Ensemble.

Another surprise was what happened prior to the show.  I got chatting with another patron who happened to be the mother of one of the ensemble players.  She wanted to swap seats - so I got a totally unobstructed view of both Katie and Karin - amazing!!!