Sunday, March 27, 2011

Darwin - Part Two

What would my life be without food and drink?  Actually, what would ANYONE'S life be without it...So, here's a bit of an overview.  Wednesday night was dinner at the Fiddler's Green.  I had lambs fry, bacon and mash - YUM!! (no pic - I ate it too quickly LOL).  Of course, there was Guinness on tap.  One of my companions mixed hers with lemonade.
I've always known this mix as a shandy, but the barman called it a portagaff...

Thursday night saw us back at the same venue where I craved Spaghetti Bolognese - nursery food, I know, but EXACTLY what I felt like eating and it tasted as good as it looks.

After a hot walk into town on Friday I slaked my thirst with a frozen margarita - not the best I've ever had - but the kick was there.
You may not be able to tell, but this is a giant glass.  Printed near the rim was a friendly reminder to enjoy drinking in moderation - oops - too late!!!

Saturday was time to try the local barramundi.  I ordered mine grilled.  It looked good
but it didn't taste as great as I thought it would.  It fell apart all too readily and seemed watery - frozen perhaps?  The water bottle at this place was deceptive.
I added two glasses of wine to my liquid intake over lunch, and later in the day I tried another margarita - totally different from the one the day before - more expensive - but I can't say it was better.
Dinner was a total disappointment.  I walked to the Stokes Hill Wharf precinct which is jumping with people at night.  I'd been told there would be some great laksa there.  Well, I wish I'd found it.  Mine was the combination laksa - 2 small prawns, lots of fake seafood sticks (what DO they put into those?) a few bouncy bits of chicken, some nice pork.  The sliced carrots and broccoli on top were totally raw, the soup lukewarm, and, well, I won't be going back...