Sunday, July 25, 2010

Ipswich Art Gallery

Isn't it always the way -  you don't get to an exhibition until the last day or so because you always think you've got plenty of time?  The Fabric of Society exhibition at the Ipswich Art Gallery was a case in point yesterday.  If I didn't get there then, I would miss out!  Although I had seen some of these quilts before, I still wanted to see them again.

First of all, have a look at the sign on the outside of the building.
I like the use of negative space to form the letters of "ART".
The exhibition was well advertised.
I couldn't take any photos in the exhibition itself.  I will say, though, that one of the quilts in the exhibition was found here in Queensland.  I was with the Quilt Study Group when we had the privilege to look at it closely at Miegunyah.  Right in the middle of the quilt it seemed to be dirty - when I leaned in for a closer look, I discovered the FINEST cross stitched name M A PAGE and a date - sooo exciting!!!

Photography is allowed in the rest of the gallery.  I was drawn to this portait of Neville Bonner and his wife,
and I was really taken with the poem near the bottom of the frame.
"A Curlew Cries" for Senator Neville Bonner - in homage...by Nan Ingleton

Our decades drift, as dust across the void
on alien gusts, the Dreamtime tatters fly:
While dying campfires hold the dusk at bay,
Through halls of power...one haunting spirit-cry
"I am your ghost Australia mourning still,
The trespassed shore, the broken tribes...
I stand
translating tears, for men unversed in grief,
That mine may summons justice in this my
land..."

This wacky dog and  his "bone" tickled my fancy.